Are you planning a home remodeling? Have you included the closet? Believe it or not, this is the one place that it’s often left out of home remodel projects, in spite of the fact that most closets are so cluttered that finding a shirt is a drag.
So, ask yourself the following:
1. Do you need to set the alarm clock a half an hour earlier than you’d have to just to find your day’s outfit?
2. Do you always manage to find the clothes you are looking for? And how long does this take you?
3. And what’s the condition of the clothes when you finally discover them?
A home closet remodel is a must, if you are a maximalist or your space is small. Why should you control the hunger of getting more clothes every season? But when you do that, you need more space. Right? Surely, at one point you need to declutter the closet and throw or give away some old garments, especially those ones you never wore during the last two years, are worn, or don’t fit anymore. But still, getting a modern closet system that will allow you to keep everything organized is a good thing.
How to make the home close remodel work for you?
Start by considering the benefits of such a home remodel and then see how to achieve them. So, what’s the advantage of getting a new closet?
• To keep clothing neat and well-organized
• Perhaps, to separate his and hers
• To create space, based on hanging & folding clothes
• To make the closet room more spacious and convenient
• To find everything in just seconds
• To declutter the bedroom too
• To increase home value
• To make the entire bedroom/wardrobe area attractive
Since not all spaces and needs are the same, you need to consider yours. Start from there – perhaps, with the assistance of a home remodeling contractor?
• You need to consider your space first. Maybe, a home renovation contractor could measure for you to be sure there’s no errors. This is very important.
• You also want to consider if you have more folding or hanging clothes. And are most hanging clothes long or short?
• Do you need extra space for shoes, or keep them elsewhere? Same thing about scarves, underwear, belts, handbags. Think if you need extra space for these too.
• It’s highly likely that you keep jewelry in the closet too. So, do create space based on your needs – maybe, a drawer.
• Think of the materials, the colors, the hardware. It’s best to invest in neutral, warm colors, convenient furniture handles, easy to clean materials.
• Take into account the amount of clothes, socks, belts – all things, you have to create space accordingly and keep all things together, per category.
The extras we often forget when we remodel closets
There are also some other matters to consider, like the ironing board. If you like it in the wardrobe area, you need to consider where you’ll put it and if it’ll be part of the closet.
One very important aspect to think of is the lighting. Will there be light inside the closet? And how about the central lighting in the walk-in-closet? It’s important to have options – bright and ambient lights – maybe, a dimmable fixture.
How about a mirror? Will that be part of the closet design or you’ll keep one separately, because you’ll surely need a long one.
Don’t forget to remind your home remodeler about the electrical outlets. Don’t you want to have the phone charging while you are getting ready? And then, you may need some outlets for the iron or a floor lamp.
There are truly many things to consider to create a perfect closet. Then again, the options are infinite. You won’t have trouble finding the best system for you. It’s overwhelming but totally worth the effort. You’ll see.